This healthy Pina Colada Style Fruit Salad (adapted from here to be much better for you) would make the perfect dessert or side for your Memorial Day cookout, or any Summer celebration.
- 1-1/2 cups green grapes
- 1-1/2 cups red grapes
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1-1/2 cups pineapple chunks(drained, if using canned)
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 2 bananas, sliced
- up to 2 cups of any other fruit(s) you may want to include, OR use extra of the fruits above, to make an additional 2 cups
- 1 cup of fresh or canned PURE pineapple juice(make sure it is not made with added sugars, syrups, or other ingredients)
- 1/3 cup of coconut milk OR 1/2 tsp coconut extract + 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Pure flaked coconut, preferably unsweetened
In a large serving bowl, combine all fresh fruits, plus the flaked coconut. Toss gently to combine well.
In a small separate bowl or pourable measure cup, combine coconut milk and pineapple juice. Whisk well for 30 seconds.
Pour evenly over the fresh fruits, then toss gently again until all fruits are coated. Cover lightly with plastic wrap, and place in fridge for at least 2 hours to chill.
Serve and enjoy!
This recipe was adapted by me to be healthier and much less sugary than the original. With all of the natural fruit sugars, and the juice, there is really no need to be adding all of those extra sugars and chemicals(whatever junk is in the pina colada mixers).
Some of you whose tastebuds have not quite adapted to this lifestyle yet may find that you need a bit more sweetness. If so, I recommend adding a natural sweetener, in very small amounts, until it is just sweet enough. Or, you could always top it with some fresh whipped cream!
I hope you enjoy the recipe, and wish you all a safe and thoughtful Memorial Day.