Last weekend, I received a lovely Starter Kit for review from the good people at Vega. Vega is a company started by Brendan Brazier, a professional Ironman Athlete, who wanted to create a plant based, whole food diet that was complete enough to fuel the demanding nutritional needs of athletes. Being Vegan, he had trouble locating options in the market at the time for protein shakes. So he created the Vega company’s first product: VegaOne.
The Vega company now has a Starter Kit available, where you can try their most popular VegaOne flavours(French Vanilla, Berry, & Chocolate), along with a book of recipes and a coupon.
The Starter Kit fuels you for 5 days of clean, plant-based nutrition. Each packet contains 50% of your daily Vitamin/Mineral Intake; has no added sugar; and is soy, gluten, and dairy free.
Each packet also contains:
- No artificial flavours, colours, or sweeteners
- 15g protein
- 6 g fiber
- 1.5g Omega-3
- 3 servings of greens
Nutrition Fact Panel:
While I am not Vegan, I jumped at the opportunity to review VegaOne. I do see the benefit of a Vegan lifestyle, and will, on occasion, use Vegan products. Generally speaking, I am a huge fan of Whey protein, but it’s always good to switch things up once in a while/expand your palate.
I have tried all 3 flavours on their own, and quite like them.
The Chocolate is very rich – almost like a dark chocolate.
The only flavour that seems to have an aftertaste is the Vanilla. I used to use a Hemp Protein shake product a few years ago, and the aftertaste reminds me of it… slightly green, slightly nutty. It’s a pleasant flavour, and makes the shake a little different from your standard vanilla whey.
The flavours aren’t overly “spinach-y”, like some Greens supplement packets can be, and they manage to blend the greens in with the protein without it being too distracting. Even those with Veggie aversions probably wouldn’t have a problem with these shakes.
VegaOne would be great for those who are dipping their toe into Veganism, or even non-Vegans that just want a plant based protein with the added benefits of greens.
I had planned already to post some new Autumn recipes for the Yellow Turtle Fitness blog, and the VegaOne products fit right in for my first Awesome Autumn recipe:
The Pumpkin Spice Frappe!
If you love Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Frappuccinos, but not the nutrition facts accompanying it, this recipe is for you.
My Pumpkin Spice Frappe is lower in calories, lower in fat, lower in sugar, higher in protein, and if you use the VegaOne packet, has the bonus of greens/added nutritional benefits. It makes a great post-workout recovery shake, as well.
First, gather your Ingredients:
All ingredients, or notes, in parenthesis are alternate ingredients or suggestions. Remember that adding extra, or substituting ingredients, will change the calorie count.
You will need:
- 1 and 1/2 cups Unsweetened Coconut Drinking Milk (or milk of your choice)
- 3 tbsp Pure Packed Pumpkin Puree (NOT Pumpkin Pie Filling!)
- 1 packet French Vanilla VegaOne Nutritional Shake Powder (or 1 serving Vanilla/cream flavoured protein powder of choice)
- 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (I added a bit of extra ginger, as well)
- 1 tsp Instant Coffee Granules (if using brewed coffee, instead of milk amount listed above, use 1 cup strong brewed coffee + 1/2 cup milk)
- 1 cup of ice
- OPTIONAL: 1/8 to 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum (this will provide a very thick consistency to the Frappe, similar to a real Starbucks style Frappuccino)
- OPTIONAL: Sweetener of choice (Maple Syrup, Stevia, etc), to taste
To Make Frappe:
– Place all ingredients, except ice, in blender. I did not find that the VegaOne product needed extra sweetener, so I suggest blending the ingredients without added sweetener first, tasting the concoction, and adding a little at a time as necessary.
– Blend until frothy and thick.
– Add ice, blend again.
– Pour into a cup, serve, and enjoy!
Makes 1 serving @ 250 calories
As I mentioned, remember that using a different protein powder, sweetener, milk, etc will change the calorie content, and probably the flavour, too. Calorie count is as listed, with ingredients noted above.
More Awesome Autumn Recipes coming soon!