The second recipe in the Yellow Turtle Fitness Awesome Autumn Recipe Series wasn’t originally intended to be posted, but as I was making my healthier adaptation of this recipe the other night, I decided it would fit right in.
So without further ado, here is my healthy, filling, and super easy Smoky Pumpkin, “Ham”, and Black Bean Soup recipe.
* note that with soups like these, measurements don’t really need to be exact. you can add more or less of an ingredient to suit your preferences in taste or consistency.
– 3 to 4 regular sized cans of Black Beans (use 4 for a thicker soup), drained and rinsed clean
– 1 regular sized can of diced fire roasted tomatoes(do NOT drain!)
– 1 tbsp of butter or olive oil
– 1 medium sized white or yellow onion, chopped
– 1 and 1/2 tbsp of minced garlic
– 4 cups of broth, of your choice(I used beef, but vegetable or chicken would both work fine)
– 1 regular sized can of Pure Packed Pumpkin (NOT Pumpkin Pie Mix!!)
– about a 1/2 lb of a Jennie-O Lean Pre-cooked Turkey Ham, cubed
– 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
– 1/2 tbsp Liquid Hickory Smoke Flavour(you can get this in any grocery store)
– 1 tbsp of good smoked paprika
– salt and pepper, to taste
– Greek Yogurt, plain, for topping
– Chives, for garnish
1 – Put 2 cans(3, if using 4) of the drained and rinsed black beans into a blender with the can of fire roasted tomatoes. Blend until smooth, then set aside.
2 – Over medium heat, in a soup pot, add the butter or olive oil, garlic, ham, and onion. Cook until fragrant, and to desired doneness(I like my onions and ham slightly browned in this soup. It gives them more flavour).
3 – Stir in broth, bean/tomato puree, smoked paprika, pumpkin, liquid smoke, and vinegar.
4 – Let simmer on low for at least 20 minutes(I usually let it simmer for longer), stirring occasionally. Add salt/pepper to taste.
5 – Serve in soup bowls, top with a dollop of plain greek yogurt(it’s just like sour cream!), and sprinkle with chives.
If you made my recipe, please let me know what you thought in the comments below!