For years now, I’ve been making this Turkey Sausage, Pumpkin, and Sage Pasta recipe for my family. It’s a recipe that I had modified from a slightly less healthy version, and has become an Autumn staple for us.
Hopefully, it becomes a staple for your family, as well.
– 1 regular sized box of tri-colour/veggie(or whole wheat, quinoa, or other “healthier” version) Fusille pasta
– 1 package of Jennie-O Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage
– 1 pint of fresh crimini mushrooms, sliced
– 1 yellow onion, chopped
– 2 tbsp of fresh minced garlic
– 2 cups of chopped frozen collard greens
– 1 can of Pure Packed Pumpkin Puree(NOT Pumpkin Pie Filling)
– 1 and 1/2 cups chicken broth
– 1 and 1/2 tbsp dried sage
– 1 tbsp parsley
– salt and pepper, to taste
– olive oil, for pan
– shredded Parmesan, as garnish
1. Cook pasta as directed on box. Drain, setting aside with 1/4 cup of drained pasta water.
2. Remove turkey sausage from casings, and cook in large saute pan lightly misted with olive oil. When halfway done, add onions, mushrooms, and garlic.
3. When sausage is no longer pink, add broth, pumpkin, collard greens, and sage to pan. Cook over medium low heat, stirring until warmed through and thickened.
4. Add pasta(+ reserved 1/4 cup of pasta water), parsley, salt, and pepper to pan. Reduce to low heat, and stir with soft spatula until well combined.
5. Serve garnished with shredded Parmesan.