These Orzo Stuffed Peppers are a great option when it’s too hot to cook, and you want a light, healthy, easy to make dinner.
It’s best to pre-make the orzo at the beginning of the week, so the mixture has time to cool(and for the flavours to “meld”). You just scoop out enough Orzo mixture to fill a fresh cut bell pepper whenever you need one.
- 1/2 small package of whole wheat Orzo pasta(approx 4 servings worth), cooked according to package’s directions, then cooled
- 2 tbsp good quality olive oil
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1/2 of a seedless English Cucumber, chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 of a red onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 6 large bell peppers, any colour
- In a large container with a lid, combine all ingredients listed above EXCEPT bell peppers, mixing gently with a silicone spatula.
- Place container in refrigerator to cool, and for proper flavour, let the flavours meld together for at least 6 hours.
- When ready to eat, wash and clean out seeds from bell peppers, saving the top of the pepper for garnish.
- Fill each pepper with orzo mixture and serve.
Each filled pepper is approximately 300 calories. Could be a little more or less, depending on what happens to be scooped in when filling it up. Makes about 6 peppers.